Traditional ISAF Sailing World Cup has an innovation this year, including a Final event where top ranked sailors will race in Abu Dhabi, UAE, for the World Cup title. The ISAF SWC Final venue will be the Abu Dhabi Sailing Yacht Club.
ISAF SWC Final includes all 10 Olympic classes plus a Kiteboard open event joining the fray around Lulu Island off the UAE capital’s stunning Corniche. Races will take place from November 27-30. 7 races are scheduled for the Laser and Laser Radial classes. The Opening Ceremony will take place on Wednesday 26 at 18:30h.
With just 20 boats in each event the competition is set to be fierce. Equipment will be supplied in eight of the ten Olympic events (RS:X sailors shall bring their own equipment) and support will be available for travel expenses and accommodation. There is no entry fee for this event.
The ten Olympic events will contest an opening series and a Medal Race with the kiteboard fleet using a short track format. Prize money will be in awarded to the top three overall finishers in each of the Olympic events from a total prize purse of US$200,000. First place will get USD 10,000. Second place USD 6,500. Third place USD 3,500.
ISAF SWC Final qualification system
Entries are awarded to Individual(s) in the following order until the quota is filled:
- The 10 Medal Race qualifiers in Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships.
- The following places are awarded based on the ISAF Rankings as issued on 22 September 2014: Top six highest ranked individual(s) whom have not qualified through previous point.
- The following places are awarded at ISAF Sailing World Cup Qingdao: (a) The highest place finisher in ISAF Sailing World Cup Qingdao that has not qualified through previous points (b) The highest place Asian finisher in the ISAF Sailing World Cup Qingdao that has not qualified through previous ponits (This may be the same sailor(s) as (a) option within this point.
- Up to two places in each event may be awarded as wild card places at the discretion of ISAF.
- When the above results in fewer than 20 accepted entries in an event, the remaining places will be filled based on the ISAF Rankings as of 22 September 2014.
You can check ISAF SWC Final Notice of Race here.
Regarding ISAF SWC Final entry list there are 18 Laser and 17 Laser Radial sailors confirmed to participate of event (last update, 26 October 2014). You can see who will be there on screenshots attached.
Laser and Laser Radial special note
Boats will be supplied complete with 1 piece of everything per boat except for the sail. Sailors shall use their own sails, the supplied hull, foils, and mast, and may substitute any rigging items for their own for the duration of the regatta.