African countries decided for the 2016 Olympic Games
Tunisia and South Africa were already qualified in the Men Standard fleet in Santander at the ISAF Worlds 2014.
2 country spots for the Men Standard Fleet and 2 for the Women Radial fleet were decided in this African championships.
It was extremely close as for the women, the top three finished with equal points. Finally Ines Gmati TUN from Tunisia and Imene Cherif Sahraoui ALG from Algeria were who qualified their countries for Rio 2016.
Laser Men fleet instead was clearly dominated by Youssef Akrout TUN from Tunisia, already qualified in Santander 2014.
This way Rodney Govinden SEY from Seychelles secured the first spot for the Olympics and Ahmed Ragab EGY from Egypt took the second one for Egypt after the big battle in the last race with Manuel Lelo ANG from Angola. Showing great sportsmanship which typified the spirit of this first African Olympic qualifier, Lelo was the first to sail up and congratulate Ragab.
So new 4 African countries qualified for the 2016 Olympic Games are:
Women Radial: Tunisia and Algeria
Men Standard: Seychelles and Egypt (plus Tunisia and South Africa already qualified).
See you in Rio 2016!
2015 African Championships – Women’s Laser Radial results
- Ines Gmati TUN 18pts (2,3,3,4,1,1,2,1,[ufd],1)
- Imene Cherif Sahraoui ALG 18pts (1,2,1,2,3,3,1,, 2,3)
- Khouloud Mansi EGY 18pts (3,1,2,3,2,2,,2,1,2)
2015 African Championships – Men’s Laser results
- Youssef Akrout TUN 9pts (1,1,[ufd],1,1,1,1,1,1,1)
- Rodney Govinden SEY 34pts (6,3,1,5,,2,6,3,4,4)
- Allan Julie SEY 35pts 5,4,6,2,8,3,3,2,2,[dnf]
- Ahmed Ragab EGY 40pts ([ufd],9,5,7,2,4,2,5,3,3)
- Manuel Lelo ANG 41pts (2,2,3,5,7,7,6,7,2)